ISSJS 2018 programs begins at Vallabh Smarak Campus, Alipur, Delhi
Students attending the 2018 Summer School at Vallabh Smarak Campus, Alipur, Delhi
The first program on experiential studies of Jainism began on June 12 with 17 scholars from USA, Ukraine, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka and India.
The Indian scholars came from Shrimad Rajchandra Mission, Dharampur.
Dr. Natubhai Shah from Jain Centre UK meets ISJS management and faculty
Noted Jain scholar and leader from the UK, Dr. Natubhai Shah, met Dr. Shugan Jain, Prof. P C Jain and Dr. Priya Jain and exchanged
ideas to develop synergies in the activities of the ISJS and Jain Centre, London.
Prof. Samani Chaitanya Pragya from Jain Vishwa Bharati Institute visits ISJS
Prof. Samani Chaitanya Pragya visited the ISJS office in New Delhi on June 9 to understand its working. She also explored the possibilities of the ISJS and Jain Vishwa Bharati Institute working together to promote Jain studies in India.
Samani ji had been involved in ISJS activities since its formative years. During her visit, she also met the staff of the ISJS.
Online Journal "ISJS-Transactions"
The International School for Jain Studies is
inviting research papers, articles and book reviews for its forthcoming on-line peer-reviewed bi-lingual
(English & Hindi), quarterly, refereed research journal "ISJS-Transactions" (ISSN: 2457-0583). The objective of the Journal is to
provide an intellectual platform to the international scholars who are working in the areas of Jain studies in
particular and Indic studies in general. It also aims to increase awareness about Jain studies,
including their application and relevance to today’s ever changing world and way of life.
- ISJS invites Suzanne Maxwell Johar as guest: As part of its Teachers for Peace Program, ISJS has invited Mrs. Johar, a 2016 ISSJS-TFP Programme participant, to teach at ISJS partner school, Jain Bharati Mrgavati School,
Alipur, G T Karnal Road, Delhi for three months.
- Yoga Day Celebration: International Summer School for Jain Studies celebrated International Yoga Day on 21st June 2018 at Vallabh Smarak Jain Mandir, G T Karnal Road, Delhi. The program was attended by the participants of the Summer School.
- Jain Workshop at Dallas, North Texas: The Jain Society of North Texas and Jaina Education Committee are jointly organizing a three-day Jain
workshop at Dallas, North Texas, starting from July 20, 2018.
- Two Jain Chairs instituted in USA: Dr. Sulekh Jain, former JAINA President has confirmed the establishment of two new Jain chairs in the USA. The two chairs are
Bhagwan Vimalnath Lectureship in Jain Studies at University of California, Santa Barbara and Bhagwan Ajitnath
Endowed Professorship in Jain Studies at California State University at Northridge California.
- New Jain Temple in Sri Lanka: The stone laying ceremony of a Jain Temple was performed by Dr. Kalyan Gangwal and his wife Dr.
Chandrakala Gangwal, Pune on the occasion of Shrut Panchmi on 18th June 2018 in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Jain Paathshala at Green Park, New Delhi: After the success of Arihant Academy-Jain Paathshala at Munirka, New Delhi, the Academy has opened it’s yet another chapter at Green Park in Delhi this year. The program has been launched with the aim of giving exposure to young children to the teachings of
Jainism. The age limit for the admission to the program is between 4-21 years.
- A Big Donation to Jain Mahilashrama, Sagar: Prof. Bhagchandra Jain Bhaskar,
former faculty at Prakrit and Pali Department and his wife Prof. Pushpalata Jain formerly of Hindi Department, Nagpur University have donated Rs. 51 Lakhs to Shri Digambar Jain Mahilashrama,
Itawara Bazar, Sagar, M.P., for the construction of a hostel.
- National workshop on Prakrit Language and Literature held: A 21-day
national workshop on Prakrit Language and Literature was organised at Parshwanath Vidyapeeth, Varanasi.
The workshop held from May 18 to June 7 was attended by 24 participants from various parts of the country.
- Prakrit Summer School 2018 successfully concluded: The 30th All India
Shri Atma Vallabh Summer School 2018 on Prakrit language and Literature was successfully concluded at BLII, Delhi recently. The four-week summer school, which began its classes on May
13, concluded on June 10, 2018. Some 30 participants from various parts of the country participated in the summer school.
- Belgaum Jain community survey completed: A sociological survey of
the Jain community in Belgaum District of Karnataka has been successfully completed.
The district is generally known as a poor and backward region of Karnataka.
- Prakash C. Jain, “Jain Community of Bundelkhand: A Sociological Profile”,
Arhat Vachana, 2018, Vol-30. No.1,
Jains constitute an important community in the Bundelkhand region. They are mainly involved in trading, banking and money-lending and various
kinds of services in public and private sectors, and as such they have been vitally integrated into the regional economy. This article presents a sociological profile
of the contemporary Jain community of Bundelkhand in terms of its demographics,
economic and occupational status, political contribution, socio-religious values and their way of life.
- Prakash C. Jain (ed), Studies in Jain Demography, 1881-2011,
Rawat publications, Jaipur and New Delhi, 2018.
This anthology consisting of ten chapters written by distinguished experts on the subject
delineates the major demographic trends in the Jain population dynamics of India from census to census, from 1881 to 2011. Inter-alia the book also highlights
the socio-demographic problems and prospects of the Jain community in terms of urbanization, inter-state migration, low fertility rate,
skewed gender ratio and its impact on marriage, literacy and work participation rates among the Jains etc.