Winter Program 2018
ISJS has already announced a Ten days winter program on “Jain philosophy and way of life: its relevance” in Ahmedabad from 28thDecember, 2018 to 7th January, 2019. The program includes a two days pilgrimage to famous Palitana hills and other Jain temples in and around Ahmadabad. The program is free for selected candidates* affiliated with universities abroad/ India or professional Jains. Please visit www.isjs.in to apply online.
*Who successfully complete the program.
New Developments at ISJS
Based on the positive feedback of ISSJS-2018 programs and the spree of setting up new chairs in universities of USA for Jain Studies, the Jain community in USA made a special request to ISJS to:
- Reorganize itself and expand ISJS with branch / affiliate network in important Jain cities like Ahmadabad and Jaipur; to meet the growing requirements for the Jain scholars as well as growing interest in academic community globally.
- To organize a ten days winter program on “Jain philosophy and way of life: its relevance” in December, 2018 - January, 2019 in Ahmedabad.
ISJS Growth Planning
ISJS is now preparing a corporate plan to expand its operations as desired by overseas Jains. Talks have started for setting up the first branch in Ahmedabad and shift ISJS office in New Delhi to a new office in South Delhi. It is likely that the Ahmedabad branch will be operational by 1st October, 2018 and the new office in Delhi by 1st November, 2018.
Teacher Exchange Program
ISJS welcomes the first teacher, Mrs. Suzanne Maxwell Johar, from USA, who had completed ISSJS.2014-TFP program earlier as a guest English teacher. She has joined Jain Bharti Mrgavati School, Alipur, Delhi on 3rd August, 2018 for three months. This is the result of new initiative of ISJS to enhance exchange of teachers between India and USA and an extension of Teaching for Peace program.
Monthly Lecture Series
Lecture by Dr. Shugan Jain on Das Lakshan Dharma
The 35th monthly lecture was organized on 12th August, 2018 at Acharya Sushil Muni Ashram, Defence Colony, Delhi. Dr. Shugan C Jain, Chairman of ISJS, delivered an interesting talk on Das Lakshan Dharma. There was a lot interest generated in understanding the ten spiritual values for pure and empirical soul and how Jains celebrate the Paryushanparva as Das Lakshan Parva to understand these as the nature of pure soul and impact on empirical soul.
ISJS Trustees Meeting
In view of the important developments taking place at ISJS as well finalization of accounts for 2017-18, a meeting of the trustees was held on 12th August, 2018. It was attended by almost all the trustees of ISJS who deliberated on various issues and extended whole hearted support for growth of ISJS.
Dr. Dimple Bahl from NIFT, New Delhi meets ISJS Management & Faculty
Dr. Dimple Bahl with ISJS Management & Faculty
Dr. Dimple Bahl, An Assistant Professor of Fashion Communication from National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi met Dr. Shugan C Jain, Dr. S. N. Pandey and other members of ISJS. Both ISJS and Dr. Bahl explored the possibilities of working closely to explore use of Grid design system in Jain manuscripts and its relevance in today’s fashion design.
Jain Population / Sociological Projects
ISJS has undertaken a series of 16 such projects in different parts of India. Of these three projects at Hauz Khas tehsil (South Delhi), New Delhi district and Belgaum district of Karanataka have already been completed, and 1 at Pune is on the verge of compilation. Data of other places namely, Kolhapur, Solapur and Indore are being processed at the rest of the places i.e., Jabalpur, Sagar, Bhopal, Ahmednagar, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Ahmedabad and Surat data collection work is in progress.
Online Journal "ISJS-Transactions"
The 4th issue of ISJS-Transactions (on-line peer-reviewed bi-lingual (English & Hindi), quarterly, refereed research journal) is due for publication on 1st October, 2018. It will be a special edition of research papers presented by ISSJS.2018-6W program participants who prepared these papers as a part of their studies for the program. This edition is specifically oriented to promote young and budding Jain scholars to write their research papers on Jainism.
You can visit earlier editions of ISJS-Transactions at https://www.isjs.in/isjs-transactions. Scholars are urged to send their papers for consideration of publication in future issues to email@example.com
Seminar / Workshop
Parshwanath Vidyapeeth, under series of Seminar on Jaina Inscriptions, is going to organize its second Three Day National Seminar on ‘Historical and Socio-cultural Significance of Jaina Inscriptions’ from 26th - 28th October, 2018 sponsored by Ministry of Culture, Government of India.Click here for more details.
- Jain Workshop at Jain Center (JCSC) Buena Park (Los Angeles) California: JCSC, along with YJA, JAYA, YJP and JAINA Education Committee have jointly organized the Jain workshop from 28th September, 2018 to 30th September, 2018. For more details contact Mr. Rajesh Salecha at firstname.lastname@example.org
President Awards: Prof. Sagarmal Jain, Dr. Sumat Kumar Jain got 2017 President Award and Prof. Phool Chand Jain ‘Premi’, Dr. Anand Kumar Jain got 2018 President Award. President Award presented to them for their contribution to Prakrit language and literature.
- Gandhi Research Foundation will organize a Ten - Day ‘National Gandhian Leadership Camp’ at Jalgaon, between 26th September to 5th October, 2018. The camp offers to the youth a unique opportunity to learn from senior leaders the art of organizing the community for sustainable life. Click here for more details.
- Career Opportunity at Loyola Marymount University (LMU), USA: LMU invites applications for Assistant Professor - Theological Studies, Bhagwan Mallinath Assistant Professor of Jainism. The application deadline is 15th October, 2018 at 5:00 PM (PST).Click here for more details.